In 1938 Master Morihei Ueshiba, the Founder of Aikido, finalised the 2nd of his 3 technical texts. Simply titled “Budo“, the text contains a sampling of techniques from a wide range of attacks, including grabs, strikes and attacks from different weapons.
Notably the first complete technique referred to in “Budo” is katatedori irimi nage. Its early placement in the text and the level of explanation that is given suggests the importance that the Founder placed on this technique. This is further supported by its inclusion in the Founder’s 3rd technical text (“Maki no ichi”) from the early 1950’s where again it is covered in detail relative to other techniques in that text.
The below video features photographic demonstrations of katatedori irimi nage as they appear in “Budo“. Also included is a demonstration of the technique by Morihiro Saito Sensei who was a direct student of the Founder for more than 20 years.
- Description of technique in “Budo” (Drawings from “Maki no ichi”)
Uke – “Grab partner’s left wrist with your tight hand”
(2) Nage – “Put strength into your fingertips of your left hand, turn the palm of hand upward, slide forward diagonally and enter deeply to your partner’s right.
Remain aware of attacks from the rear”
(3) Nage – “Grab your partner’s right wrist from underneath with your right hand, release his grip and strike his face.”
(4) Nage – “Slide in further, grab his collar (or pin his hips against your body), step forward on your right foot bringing your partner’s arm around his neck and then down him.
During this last part of the technique it is vital to put strength in your finger tips of your right hand and bring your arm down to the inside.”
- Katate dori irimi nage – Post war forms
In the below video Morihiro Saito Sensei (1928-2002) demonstrates the 3 versions of katatadori irimi nage nage practised by O’Sensei (the Founder of Aikido) in the immediate post-war period of his life.
- Katate dori irimi nage – Aikido Yuishinkai version
In the below video Peter Kelly Sensei, International Instructor, Aikido Yuishinkai provides instruction on an alternate version of katate dori irimi nage. The video was recorded at our dojo in 2015.
Have a great week
Aikido Warrior Dojo
You must be logged in to post a comment.